Amaia Gómez Marzabal has a B.A. in Fine Arts and a masters degree “Investigation and Creation in Arts: INCREARTE” from the University of the Basque Country (UPV-EHU) Leioa, Basque Country, Spain. She has received grants from the Kutxa Bank, Gobierno Vasco/ Euroregion/ Garapen and Etxepare Institut, Spain.
Her work has been shown in a number of exhibitions in Spain, Italy and USA, including a solo show at the Politecnico de Milano. Gómez Marzabal also works with the “Cerdas Collective”, who publish and exhibit regularly in Spain.
Her most recent project has been the artist residency at ESKFF Foundation in Mana Contemporary Art Center NJ, where she has developed a new body of work.
Her work is held in private collections in Europe and in the Eileen S. Kaminsky Family Foundation.
Currently she is represented by Gallery 104 in Soho, NY.
My practice investigates decorative patterns, abstractions and figures. Through painting and printinng I reinterpret these inherited patterns through investigations of color, surface and formal languages/rituals of painting.
In addition, my practice is concerned with human relationships, social rules, emotions and my own personal development.
I am interested in using patterns and human figures to develop my own artistic language about the process of personal self-discovery. These patterns (and sometimes abstractions) will be used to metaphorically represent inherited behavioral and personality traits.
Just as patterns repeat designed structures, humans too duplicate patterns of behavior and thought that are taught to them by society through the course of their development from childhood into adulthood. In the process of finding and defining myself, I found that some of these patterns can be changed and the rules can be broken to draw new patterns.
I use these patterns in my paintings to depict the balance between order and chaos, perfection and imperfection. The sudden chaotic abstraction that can grow from the order of a human body can be used to represent this ambiguous process of finding yourself and tracing the lines of your own life-pattern.
- Master of Education (Secondary Teaching), Valencia International University, Spain (2017)
- Master of Fine Arts, Public Univerity of the Basque Country, Spain (2008)
- Bachelor of Fine Arts, Public Univerity of the Basque Country, Spain (2005)
- Cerificate in Graphic Design, CETIC, Spain (2006)
Visual Art, Teaching and Workshops
- Assistant for the artist Maximilian Pelzmann, Mana Contemporary Art Center NJ (2017-18)
- “Occupacional Creative workshop” for the AIDS Association, Estrada Center, Vitoria (2016-7)
- “Crafts for Kids”, Alegria-Dulantzi Council (2011)
- “Recycling & Art”, Culture Center of Getxo (2009)
- Wallartist Assistant for IMVG Company, Alegria-Dulantzi Council (2012)
- “Urban Collage” Council of Alegria-Dulantzi (2013)
- Assistant for “Zuyi!” Photography exhibition, Artium Museum, Vitoria (2006)
- Conference Organiser “Recycling, transforming, creating”, BIO Climatic Change Office, Bilbao (2009)
- “Psychopompós”, Atrio Azkuna Zentroa, Bilbao (2010) and in LunaKrea, CajaVital, Vitoria (2010)
- “Hangar Gasteiz”, with Norabide, City Council of Vitoria (2011)
- “The Music Box”, GetxoFolk Festival (2010)
- “1 place, 1000 colors”, Inter. Immigrant Day, City Council of Getxo (2009)
- Mural Creation “Ground“ for Bioalai, Vitoria (2005)
- Illustrator for Baskavigin Film, Old Port Films (2016)
- Publications for Diarionorte.es (2014)
- Fanzines: “Cíclope” nº0 y nº1 and “Operación Bikini” with “Cerdas Collective” (2015)
- Cartoonist: for www.diarionorte.es Newspaper and Comic Story for Replika Magazine (2014-13)
- Nº 1 FabrikArt Catalog, UPV-EHU in collaboration with the artist Luis Badosa (2003)
- “ConArtist”, NY (2017)
- “Cerdas” Illustration Association, Vitoria (2015)
- “Denokinn-Elkartea”, Santurce (2012)
- “Zintzilik” art collective, Vitoria (2009-06)
- int>act, art collective, Bilbao (2012-09)
- Painting and Design, Politecnico di Milano (2003)
- The Other Art Fair, Greenpoint, NY (2019)
- Artists/ Work exhibition at Rabbithole Projects Gallery, Brooklyn, NY during the Gowanus Open Studios (2019)
- Opening at Egoless Creative Gallery, Brooklyn, NY (2019)
- Immigration is the Nation, Cargo Project Gallery, Ridgewood, NY (2019)
- Superfine! Art Fair, Soho, NY (2019)
- `Privilege‘ Jersey City Theater Center, NJ (2019)
- Superfine! Art Fair, LA (2019)
- OVERLAP exhibition, Prime Gallery, Jersey City, NJ (2018)
- “Women and Immigration” Group Exhibition, Julia de Burgos Art Center, Manhattan, NY (2018)
- “ESKFF Spring Residents” Mana Contemporary Art Center, NJ (2018)
- “US for the Art” Group Exhibition, Wall Gallery, Brooklyn (2017)
- “Woman to the Front” Superchief Gallery, Brooklyn (2017)
- Pop Up for artists in Yiu Gallery, Manhattan, NY (2017)
- “Women” Group Exhibition, Julia de Burgos Art Center, Manhattan, NY (2017)
- “Various existential Angsts” Summer Residency Group exhibition, Nars, Brooklyn (2017)
- “Group Exhibition” ZAS Kultur Espazioa, Vitoria (2016)
- “Home=Shelter” Exhibition, curated by Iratxe González Villaluenga, the Fair Saturday, ZAWP, Bilbao (2016)
- VI Edition: “Setting Up” Álava Emprende, Vitoria, Spain (2009)
- Students of U.P.V. Culture Center Getxo, Spain (2006)
- “Paintings and Cinema” Lamiak Bilbao, Spain (2005)
- XIII Painting Awards of Beasain, Spain (2004)
- Students of U.P.V: Small format, Tatos Café Getxo, Spain (2003)
WITH “Cerdas Collective” (2016-7):
- “She said“ Mariaenea Basauri & Kataku Herriko Ostatua, Spain
- “Mini Worlds” Cultural Center Bera de Bidasoa, Spain
- Illustration Fair Mazoka Montehermoso, Spain
- “Paper Shelter” Exhibition, GeroArte, Vitoria, Spain
WITH “Zintzilik Collective”:
- “Dark Progress” Installation, Alegría-Dulantzi Council (2008), Spain
- “Textures” Cultural Center Pilar and Judimendi, Vitoria, Spain (2007-06)
- ESKFF Spring Resident (2018) Mana Contemporary Center, NJ
- NARS Foundation: artist in residency (2017) and granted by Etxepare Institut
- Basque Gobernment and Euroregion: Basque artists in France, Fabrique Pola, Bordeaux (2016)
- Erasmus: Politécnico Milan, Bbk grant (2003)
- Atrio Alhóndiga, Bilbao (2010)
- 1st Ideas Award in the 2nd Edition of “Bizkaia Creaktiva”, Creativity Zentrum (2010)
- Finalists in the Bussines Ideas Awards, Lanekintza, Bilbao (2010)
- 2nd Award in the WANTED Ideas Awards, Getxo´s City Council (2009)
- 3rd Award in the Painting Competition, Encartaciones, Biscay (2004)
- 2nd Award in the XXIV IPAR Painting Competition, Biscay (2000)
- 2nd award in the VIII Open-air Painting Competition, Aramaio (1999)
- 2nd award in the VII Open-air Painting Competition, Beasain (1998)